How Buhari traded release of Chibok Girls with €3m -Report

By Editor on 24/12/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 310

The Federal Government paid €3m for the release of some Chibok schoolgirls who were in Boko Haram custody, according to Wall Street Journal.

In 2014, Boko Haram insurgents had kidnapped 276 girls from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno state.

Of the 276, 163 are now free: 57 fled in the early days after their abduction, three escaped later, and a Swiss-coached mediation secured 103.

Twenty-one of the 103 were freed on October 13, 2016, while the remaining 82 were freed on May 6 this year.

In a detailed report on the incident, WSJ said while €1m was paid for the 21 first freed, additional €2m accompanied the five Boko Haram commanders that were exchanged with the next batch: the 82 girls.

TheCable had earlier reported how the €2m were reportedly paid.

Ahmad Salkida, a journalist known to have links with the sect, and Zannah Mustapha, a lawyer, were said to be key mediators involved in both deals.

After months of talks involving Salkida and Mustapha, a breakthrough was finally reached when in late 2016, both parties agreed on a plan concerning the girls’ freedom.

WSJ said: “The plan called for two exchanges. In the first one, Boko Haram would free 20 Chibok hostages in exchange for €1m.

“If both sides were satisfied with the outcome, the rest of the girls who wanted to come home would be swapped in a second exchange in return for €2 and five imprisoned Boko Haram commanders.”

“As Mustapha worked through the details and tried to maintain the confidence of both sides, the Nigerian government began the delicate process of finding prisoners Shekau would deem acceptable.

“Salkida was the man picked for the task. He began to crisscross Nigeria combing jails and interviewing inmates, looking for militants who fit the profile.”

The report added that while the deal began coming together, there were fears that President Muhammdu Buhari might not approve of it.

“The President was eager for a victory. He also loathed the idea of paying Boko Haram. No one knew if he would sign off,” it said.

“In the end, he approved the deal, with a condition: He insisted that any money that reached Boko Haram would be a step toward a comprehensive peace agreement.

“Since the insurgents collected their €3m, some Nigerian officials say an army that had struggled to feed itself seems replenished,” it stated.

TheCable stated that it was not able to independently verify the claims concerning the payment.

When contacted, Femi Adesina, Buhari’s spokesman, neither confirmed nor denied the claims.

“Ask them to show the evidence,” Adesina told TheCable via a text message.


Source Agency Reports

Posted on December, 24 2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

You may also like...
N40billion fraud: My records an open book -...

Ihedioha takes charge in House of Reps

BREAKING: Commotion in Osogbo as hoodlums interupt protest...

BREAKING: Respite at last, as Metuh gets bail...

Man Utd debt rises to €514.9 million

MASSOB to Jonathan: You can’t ask for forgiveness...

US Open: Sharapova pulls out

Fuel Price: Rumpus as Reps bar Kachikwu from...

APC boycotts Rivers re-run election
Latest News SERAP to UN: Declare Herdsmen terrorist group *Responsible don't negotiate with terrorists BREAKING: Like MFM, another NPFL Club Plateau Utd crash out of CAF Champions league INCREDIBLE: You’re unlucky, doctors tell woman who lost 22 babies Gov Obiano sworn-in, begins his second term journey in Anambra Herdsmen reportedly invade Edo Communities, kill five Persons Algeria club whitewash MFM in CAFCL as NPFL team go down to CAF Confederation play-offs BREAKING: Federer dumps out Coric, race into final as Venus, Halep chicken out in Indian Wells semis Imo deputy Gov to Okorocha: You can't stop me from being next Governor Liverpool flog Watford as Salah hits first premier league hatrick, Palace journey out of relegation zone Buhari: Wakil’s death shocked me *We must not forget his dedication


Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,404 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (23,957 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,786 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,763 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,851 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (12,980 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,155 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (10,923 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (10,096 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (10,062 views)


News Appointments (138) Business (255) Crime (650) Economy (422) Education (162) Entertainment (89) Fashion and Style (6) General (260) Health (287) Inside Africa (223) Interviews (14) National (652) Politics (1948) Press Releases (3) Religion (132) Security (1067) Sports (1845) Technology (19) World News (399)


CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway



Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up