FG: 2,778 Nigerians are trapped in detention camps in Libya *Another 250 return today

By Editor on 05/12/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 243

Nigerians evacuated from Libya

The Federal Government will be bringing home a total of 2,778 Nigerian migrants registered in “accessible” detention camps in Libya, ready for repatriation, the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, has said.

In a statement signed by the spokesperson Mr Tiwatope Elias-Fatiile on Tuesday, Ministry said the Nigerian embassy in Libya had been visiting detention camps to identify Nigerians for registration. 

The ministry stated that those registered were issued Emergency Travel Certificates. The ministry also explained that the embassy in collaboration with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) repatriates 250 migrants weekly and had returned 3,000 of them so far.

“From the 2,778 registered Nigerians who are still in detention camps, another set of 250 Nigerian migrants will be arriving on Tuesday Dec. 5, at Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos at 7.00.p.m. to be received by NEMA officials.

“The Embassy, in collaboration with the IOM repatriates 250 Nigerian migrants by flight to Lagos weekly – each flight can accommodate only 250 passengers.

“The repatriation is a continuous exercise and the Embassy routinely issues the requisite travel documents to the migrants. “The Embassy will continue to engage the legitimate government in Libya and other stakeholders in addressing the plight of Nigerian migrants in that country.”

Image result for Libyan refugees return to nigeria

The migrants

The Ministry further said that the Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama had invited the Nigerian Embassy’s Head of Mission, Mr Iliya Fachano, to Abuja for consultations.

“He is in Abuja already and during the period of the consultations, arrangements have been made for him to address press conferences on the issue.

“This would afford the Nigerian public the opportunity to hear from him directly.”

The ministry, however, advised intending Nigerian travellers to “avoid Libya at this period, because of the dangers they may encounter in the process of their journey”.

The ministry also urged citizens to reach the Nigerian Embassy in Libya for assistance through these emergency numbers: +218910144487, +218925099384 and +218917953365.

“The contact email addresses for the embassy and the ministry are: nigeria@nigeriantripoli.org and help@foreignaffairs.gov.ng.

It said that the embassy had received requests for intervention from some relations of the victims based in Nigeria through these contacts.

While condemning the slave market in Libya, the ministry said it would engage the UN, African Union, European Union and other stakeholders to ensure that the perpetrators were brought to justice. “It violates the fundamental human rights of the victims and it is unacceptable to the civilised world.”



Source Vanguard

Posted on December, 5 2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

You may also like...
Trump to women: ‘I’m sorry, those words don’t...

Massive renovation of Ibori’s home, as kinsmen await...

Finally Nigeria strikes oil in the North

Anambra Guber: APGA leads as INEC declares results...

Boko Haram: 15 reported dead in Maiguduri

Suleiman: FG wants to set Nigeria on fire...

“50 Nigerians affected by xenophobic attacks in South...

DSS report that finally nailed Magu as EFCC...

10-year public office ban: I'm unmoved by your...
Latest News SERAP to UN: Declare Herdsmen terrorist group *Responsible don't negotiate with terrorists BREAKING: Like MFM, another NPFL Club Plateau Utd crash out of CAF Champions league INCREDIBLE: You’re unlucky, doctors tell woman who lost 22 babies Gov Obiano sworn-in, begins his second term journey in Anambra Herdsmen reportedly invade Edo Communities, kill five Persons Algeria club whitewash MFM in CAFCL as NPFL team go down to CAF Confederation play-offs BREAKING: Federer dumps out Coric, race into final as Venus, Halep chicken out in Indian Wells semis Imo deputy Gov to Okorocha: You can't stop me from being next Governor Liverpool flog Watford as Salah hits first premier league hatrick, Palace journey out of relegation zone Buhari: Wakil’s death shocked me *We must not forget his dedication


Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,404 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (23,957 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,786 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,763 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,851 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (12,980 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,155 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (10,923 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (10,096 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (10,062 views)


News Appointments (138) Business (255) Crime (650) Economy (422) Education (162) Entertainment (89) Fashion and Style (6) General (260) Health (287) Inside Africa (223) Interviews (14) National (652) Politics (1948) Press Releases (3) Religion (132) Security (1067) Sports (1845) Technology (19) World News (399)


CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway



Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up