Ahead of 2019, Buhari begins a clamp down on online newspapers

By Editor on 06/11/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 287

The old tactics of killing the kingmakers to prevent them from crowning others, may have led President Muhammadu Buhari to commence a massive clamp down on the social media, which played a large role in bringing him to power.
Reports from the Sunday Tribune, a national newspaper, indicate that the Federal Government has begun secret moves that will see a number of online newspapers, blogs and websites perceived to constitute “threat to national security” permanently shut down.
Social media and Internet users may also not be exempted from the clampdown, which will begin any moment from now.
The closest clue in what has been interpreted as an indirect attempt to gag the press and suppress opposing views since the advent of the current administration is the controversial bill to regulate social media, which has passed second reading in the Senate.
Sunday Tribune can reveal authoritatively that the government, through the Nigerian Communications Commission, has engaged the services of a firm in Lagos to block the domain names of “several identified websites threatening national security.”
The Office of the National Security Adviser drew the list of the offensive websites and the number is in excess of 21, a memo written by NCC, a copy of which Sunday Tribune got, said.
The letter, which was dated October 20, 2017, is a reminder memo to the firm, indicating that other letters had earlier been written to the firm by NCC.
The memo was entitled: “Re: Request to Prevent the Commission of an Offence under Section 146 of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.”
It was signed by NCC’s Head, Legal and Regulatory Services, Yetunde Akinloye, while an official of the agency co-signed on behalf of Engineer Haru Alhassan, who is the Director, New Media and Information Security.
Reference is made to another letter dated September 27, 2017 on the above subject matter, directing the contracted firm “to restrict access to several identified websites threatening national security as identified by the Office of the National Security Adviser”.
Further to the said directive, the said firm “…is hereby required to immediately take steps to restrict access within the Nigerian cyberspace in respect of 21 (twenty one) additional websites by blocking the domain names. (The list of websites is attached)”.
Image result for buhari
Section 146 (1) of the NCC Act 2003 states: “A licensee shall use his best endeavour to prevent the network facilities that he owns or provides or the network service, applications service or content application service that he provides from being used in, or in relation to, the commission of any offence under any law in operation in Nigeria.
“(2): A licensee shall, upon written request by the Commission or any other authority, assist the Commission or other authority as far as reasonably necessary in preventing the commission or attempted commission of an offence under any written law in operation in Nigeria or otherwise in enforcing the laws of Nigeria, including the protection of the public revenue and preservation of national security.
“(3): Any licensee, shall not be liable in any criminal proceedings of any nature for any damage (including punitive damages), loss, cost or expenditure suffered or to be suffered (whether directly or indirectly) for any act or omission done in good faith in the performance of the duty imposed under subsections (1) and (2).”
Reacting, the Minister of Communications, Alhaji Adebayo Shittu, said he was not aware any memo originated from the NCC instructing any firm to gag the press, particularly online newspapers, Internet and social media users or shut them down.
Shittu told Sunday Tribune that no instruction would be given to the NCC without such passing through him as the Minister supervising the NCC.
He said: “I am sure NCC will never ever write such a memo. I am sure it never happened.
“President Muhammadu Buhari or any of the people working for him will never do or encourage anything that will amount to gagging of the press.”


Source Sunday Tribune

Posted on November, 6 2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

You may also like...
Djokovic bags 9th grand slam trophy after defeating...

Sam Allardyce emerges new Everton coach

BREAKING: Tension in UK as Gunmen shoot down...

$1bn from excess crude account: Fayose pulls out,...

Aside football, other Sports can revamp Nigeria's economy...

ISIS number 2 man killed in Iraq *As...

Presidents with military background no longer suitable for...

Okorocha laments plight of Ndigbo under Buhari, APC...

N11bn Scam: How Ex-Gov Audu Looted Treasury
Latest News Buhari: Wakil’s death shocked me *We must not forget his dedication BREAKING: Wakil, 58, Bauchi Senator, slumps, dies *Saraki mourns I never said that Nigerians have lost trust in Buhari’s government — Peter Obi Star witness: My 88 days horror in Evans’ kidnap den *He rejected N66million NJC names Akeredolu, Dakwak new CJs for Ondo, Plateau in 60 judges, 25 states list Soyinka to Buhari: You 're treating Fulani Herdsmen with kids' gloves attitude Pastor Adeboye in Benue, weeps for victims of Herdsmen attacks, demands end to senselees killings Buhari returns to Kano for another wedding event despite rising criticism on insecurity BREAKING: Zuma in fresh trouble, faces prosecution over corruption charges Liverpool lock horns with City as Real get Juve Champions league date *It's Arsenal vs Cska in Europa last eight contest


Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,398 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (23,956 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,783 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,759 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,850 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (12,979 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,153 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (10,907 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (10,089 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (10,060 views)


News Appointments (138) Business (255) Crime (650) Economy (422) Education (162) Entertainment (89) Fashion and Style (6) General (260) Health (287) Inside Africa (223) Interviews (14) National (652) Politics (1946) Press Releases (3) Religion (132) Security (1065) Sports (1841) Technology (19) World News (398)


CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway



Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up