BREAKING: In the end North Korea balks, pauses planned attack on Guam

By Editor on 15/08/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 422


Trump and Kim

North Korea, has put on ice the planned attack on Guam, an enclave in the Pacific, which houses a United States military base, and for which both countries have been at each other’s throat in the past few days.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un announced a review of plans to fire missiles towards the territory would be shelved for now, but was definite that it would still hold off, the BBC reports, quoting state media.

Although prepared for "the enveloping fire at Guam", the North said it would watch what "the foolish Yankees" do before taking a decision.

Last week's threat against Guam escalated the sharp rhetoric being exchanged between the two sides.

This latest report points to a pause in the increasingly bitter war of words.

South Korea's President Moon Jae-in meanwhile has urged the US not to launch an attack on the Korean peninsula without its consent, saying "no one may decide to take military action without the consent" of the South.

The report on state news agency KCNA said Kim Jong-un "examined the plan for a long time" and discussed it with senior military officials.

 

A US Air Force B-1B Lancer bomber sits on the runway at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam July 18, 2017

Guam is home to the US Air Force's Andersen air base

The commander of North Korea's strategic force was now merely waiting for orders "after rounding off the preparations for the enveloping fire at Guam".

But, crucially, the report also said that Mr Kim would watch the US before making any decision, signalling an apparent deceleration in the provocative rhetoric.

Correspondents say that after days of menacing threats it might seem that Kim Jong-un could be in the mood to finally hit the pause button - but in a nation as secretive as North Korea, one can never be sure.

Analysts say it could simply mean Pyongyang is not fully ready to launch an attack on Guam, so it could just be buying more time.

South Korea and China - North Korea's closest ally - have been urging calm and a renewed push for diplomatic resolutions.

On Tuesday South Korean President Moon Jae-in said the US should not act unilaterally. The two countries' defence agreement states that they must "consult together" when either is threatened.

 

 

 

Source BBC

Posted on August, 15 2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
Why I moved into the street to celebrate...

BREAKING: Congolese officials detain, release Igali after 8...

BREAKING: BBC Women's World Footballer of the Year:...

FIFA U-20 World Cup: Flying Eagles fire final...

Like Buhari, Mugabe heads for Singapore for medical...

Investigate alleged Military killings at Adamawa, Falana tells...

Joshua rearing to fight Fury after Takam victory...

Jonathan receives report on alledged missing oil Money...

Umahi lifts widows in Ebonyi *To pay them...
Latest News Mourinho: No regrets over my spat with Wenger, but I respect him Sex for mark: ASUU commends OAU over action on randy lecturer At 17, I was fondled by ‘a powerful media man’ *Sexual predator groped my breast BREAKING: PDP moves to establish shadow cabinet to challenge APC Saraki: I didn’t share N10billion with anybody *Laments plot to assassinate his character Presidency alerts of Zahra, Buhari daughter’s fake Facebook account Pomp, as new Bayelsa varsity holds maiden matriculation *It's historic - Bayelsa gvt BREAKING: INEC plans to rig election for Buhari and APC – PDP *Move will set Nigeria on fire Surprise package! Arsene Wenger quits Arsenal PDP to Buhari: Nigerian youths among world’s most industrious *Stop destroying your country

 

Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,531 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (24,045 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,871 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,827 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,915 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (13,115 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,239 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (11,096 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (10,208 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (10,167 views)

 

News Appointments (147) Business (261) Crime (665) Economy (429) Education (164) Entertainment (90) Fashion and Style (6) General (266) Health (293) Inside Africa (229) Interviews (14) National (671) Politics (2017) Press Releases (3) Religion (136) Security (1110) Sports (1891) Technology (19) World News (416)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement