World number one, Murray dumped out of Monte Carlo

By Editor on 20/04/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 661


Shattered: Murray

Andy Murray surrendered a 4-0 lead in the decisive third set on his way to defeat at the Monte Carlo Masters on Thursday as the world number one’s 2017 season hit another setback.

Murray suffered a shock third-round loss to Spain’s 15th seed Albert Ramos-Vinolas 2-6, 6-2, 7-5 in more than two and a half hours.

Former French Open champion Stan Wawrinka was also routed, with the Swiss third seed losing to Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay 6-4, 6-4.

Ramos-Vinolas toppled Scottish top seed Murray on his second match point to progress to the quarter-finals on the Monaco clay for the first time at the French Open warm-up event.

“I’m disappointed to lose from the position that I was in.

“I mean, if you sort of look at the scoreline, it was 7-5 in the third. One week ago I would have been okay with that. But sitting here, being 4-Love up in the third, I haven’t lost many matches like that in my career,” said Murray.

“I’m disappointed. I feel like I had enough chances to win. I was close, I think. At 5-4, I had a chance in that game, as well.

“Maybe tomorrow or a day after I’ll be able to look back a little bit and think where I’m at now from where I was a week ago.

“My elbow felt pretty good. I served much better today than I did yesterday. That’s only going to get better. So hopefully I keep going in the right direction.”

Murray, a three-time Monte Carlo semi-finalist, raced away with the first set, before Ramos-Vinolas found his feet to level the score, then neutralised a 4-0 Murray lead in the third set.

Ramos-Vinolas then edged ahead, with Murray saving a match point in the final game but the reigning Wimbledon and Olympic champion missed on a drop shot to hand a shock win to his opponent.

Murray had returned from a month out with an elbow injury to launch his clay court season with a gruelling 7-5, 7-5 defeat of Gilles Muller in Wednesday’s second round tie.

The 29-year-old was making his first ATP appearance since a second-round loss to Vasek Pospisil at Indian Wells on March 12.

His quest for a first Monte Carlo title goes on, one of only two Masters 1000 events he has never won.

Victory for Vinolas-Ramos marked the first time the 29-year-old from Barcelona, who reached last year’s French Open quarter-finals, had got the better of a world number one.

His reward is a Friday quarter-final against Croatian fifth seed Marin Cilic, who motored past number nine seed Tomas Berdych 6-2, 7-6 (7/0).

Murray

 

Source AFP

Posted on April, 20 2017

Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
Wawrinka dashes Djokovic's dream to win French Open...

Buhari not on life support, ignore Fayose –...

Presidential election a sham, Ohanaeze, Afenifere, NEF, PANDEF...

Gambia Despotic Leader: Why I changed my mind...

Amosun Wins Ogun Guber Poll

Stop harassing Okada riders - Obasanjo *Appointed grand...

Again, Oshonaike rules Africa at 41

Explosion in Port Harcourt, no it wasn’t –...

BREAKING: Russian ambassador to the UN, dies suddenly...
Latest News BREAKING: Soludo bounces back *Joins Buhari's economic team Obasanjo African leaders *Says South Africa must be punished for xenophobia BREAKING: Seun Onigbinde succumbs to pressure, resigns from Buhari BREAKING: We're sorry, South Africa formally tenders apology to Nigeria BREAKING: South African envoys, arrive Nigeria, meet with Buhari BREAKING: South Africa begs Nigeria *Rolls out new laws against xenophobia BREAKING: Gunmen resume attack in Kaduna *Mow down six in fresh carnage Buhari to ECOWAS leaders: Terrorists must not take over our region BREAKING: US kills Bin Laden's son in another operation INCREDIBLE: Thieves steal N1.8 billion solid gold toilet from palace

 

Most Read BREAKING: Atiku defects to APGA *Picks ticket for 2019 presidency *Runs with Soludo (57,691 views) BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (38,239 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (26,325 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (23,859 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (22,244 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (15,364 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (15,240 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (15,059 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (13,863 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (13,131 views)

 

News Appointments (241) Business (310) Crime (1028) Economy (531) Education (217) Entertainment (209) Fashion and Style (72) General (461) Health (439) Inside Africa (383) Interviews (20) National (1287) Politics (3134) Press Releases (3) Religion (211) Security (1485) Sports (2334) Technology (28) World News (562)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement