BREAKING: German city on lockdown over terror attack threat

By Editor on 08/10/2016

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 660


German Police

Part of a Chemnitz, a German city went on a lockdown, Saturday morning, following a police operation to stop a suspected terror plotter, believed to have made a bomb in one of the houses in the town, preparatory for another attack in a country that is on current alert after two separate incidents, recently.

Police said they blew open a door as searches continued in Chemnitz but the suspect behind the threat has not been found, after scores of armed officers evacuated residents and cordoned off large areas of the Fritz Heckert district on Saturday morning.

A spokesperson for Saxony Police said: "We are carrying out a large operation in Chemnitz following suspicion of a planned bomb attack...a person of interest could not be found."

 

chemnitz-police.jpg

German Police during the operation

Families living in a flat block told MDR Sachsen they were woken early in the morning by police with machine guns, telling them to leave the building, when they were taken away from the area on buses.

Officials issued an appeal for residents not to share any images or footage of the operation on social media.

"Major road closers and evacuations are necessary," a spokesperson said: "Within the cordoned-off area, please stay in your homes and follow the instructions of police."

Videos and photos of a man alleged to be the suspect were circulating on social media, with footage showing a person walking down a residential road. Police would not confirm the speculation.

The Fritz Heckert district, known locally as Fritz-Heckert-Gebiet, was built as one of the largest housing developments in Communist East Germany, consisting of large tower blocks once housing 90,000 people.

Many residents left after the reunification of Germany and many of the blocks have since been demolished.

Security remains high in the country after two terror attacks by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) supporters earlier this year, with a Syrian refugee blowing himself up in Ansbach and an Afghan teenager attacking train passengers with an axe in Würzburg.

 

 

 

Source Independent

Posted on October, 8 2016

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
Fuel scarcity: We’ll end Nigeria’s nightmare in two...

How Murray dealt with Raonic's power for second...

MMM countdown: 10 days to go *Hope rises...

Atiku is a PDP man, he’s on vacation...

PDP to Buhari, APC: Saraki, Ekweremadu’s removal, dead...

Nigeria's Solanke, Lookman secure U-20 W/Cup with England...

Jonathan to S’East leaders: Atiku is right on...

Drinkwater positioned to fill Matic's void at Chelsea...

BREAKING: Students study alone as Lecturers go on...
Latest News FG: What we did to save aid worker from Boko Haram execution TRAGEDY: Boko Haram executes another Red Cross worker, keeps Leah Sharibu as "life slave" BREAKING: Ibori explodes! I’m on the rise again, my enemies of have done their worst Bolt questions drug test ahead football career *Says, I don't even have a contract yet Jonathan to S’East leaders: Atiku is right on Obi *Allow him pick his own man Man in $5million bribe-video, not Ganduje, Kano gvt *Says video 'cloned' to destroy APC BREAKING: APC appoints new Publicity Secretary Yari threatens to abandon APC *I 've been pushed to the wall Atiku: I choose Peter Obi due to his vast knowledge on economy Buhari to Obj, Atiku: No shaking *You'll lose together *Nigerians know why they love me

 

Most Read BREAKING: Atiku defects to APGA *Picks ticket for 2019 presidency *Runs with Soludo (54,706 views) BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (37,441 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (25,124 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (22,675 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (21,315 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (14,392 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (13,803 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,819 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (12,471 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (11,260 views)

 

News Appointments (181) Business (289) Crime (776) Economy (490) Education (185) Entertainment (131) Fashion and Style (19) General (318) Health (365) Inside Africa (255) Interviews (16) National (865) Politics (2705) Press Releases (3) Religion (158) Security (1306) Sports (2244) Technology (25) World News (469)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement