FG bows, moves Boko Haram Detainees out of Anambra

By Editor on 10/07/2015

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 962


Report says federal Government has finally bowed to pressure and moved the Boko Haram prisoners out of the south east.

Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, announced this as he explained why the planned protest by traders against the relocation of some Boko Haram suspects to Anambra State did not hold in the state.

He said this on Thursday during  an inspection tour of ongoing projects in Abakaliki that since the suspects had already been taken to Abuja, the protest was unnecessary.

He said, “The traders have the right to protest but there was no need for the protest because we (South-East governors) had enjoined the Federal Government not to relocate any Boko Haram prisoner to any prison in the South-East. Those suspects brought to Anambra State have been taken back to Abuja.

“The state decided against the protest for the reason that the governors of the region had intimated the Presidency on their opinion on the matter, and so no need for anyone to encourage people of the state to take to the streets.”

boko-haram prisoners

The Suspects

It was gathered that the planned protest by the traders was expected to take place simultaneously across the five states of the South-East.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Chris Anyanwu, said that the command had increase security on major roads and locations of the state to prevent any possible breakdown of law and order.

He said, “We got wind of plans by traders in Abakaliki markets to stage a peaceful protest over what they alleged as relocation of persons suspected to be Boko Haram members to some prisons in the South-East. We had to mobilise our men immediately to major roads and locations in the state to avert any breakdown of law and order.

“Part of our responsibility is to ensure the security of lives and properties of the citizenry. We envisaged that hoodlums may take advantage of the protest to disrupt the peace of the state especially now that the election petition tribunal is sitting in the state capital. We don’t want people to loot peoples’ properties in the name of peaceful protest, so we had to mobilise our men.”

Meanwhile, the Speaker of the Cross River State House of Assembly, Mr. John Lebo, on Thursday said the state would resist any attempt to send Boko Haram suspects to prison facilities in the state.

He said categorically that the state could not accommodate the suspects.

There are no fewer than six prisons sited in different locations including Calabar, Adim, Obubra, Ogoja and Obudu.

Lebo said, “We will resist relocation of Boko Haram suspects to Calabar Prisons or any other one in the state.”

 

 

Source Agency Report

Posted on July, 10 2015

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
After Aisha’s tongue-lashing Buhari begins fence-mending *Meets with...

Fighting corruption with corruption is corruption – NBA...

Rotterdam Open: Murray zooms into last Eight

Segun Oni: I may be forced to quit...

Suleiman: FG wants to set Nigeria on fire...

Ini Edo dumps Nollywood, joins politics

Commonwealth Games: Enekwechi gets Nigeria's second medal after...

Tears, agony in Rivers community as Hoodlums assassinate...

INCREDIBLE: Iceland resist Argentina onslaught *Messi misses penalty...
Latest News El-Rufai to Shehu Sani: Happy retirement *Don’t start what you can’t finish Assassination: Nenadi was the target, not daughter – family *Invite UK private investigators How Wike snubbed Osinbajo during Rivers visit *It's evidence of his wickedness - APC IPOB boss, Kanu, joins in campaign to remove Buhari *Begins rallying allies Magnus Abe: I’m not going anywhere *I'm tied to APC, Buhari forever BREAKING: Shehu Sani, says only God will judge APC *Quits party in protest BREAKING: Kanu confirms he’s alive *Set to tell his story in world press conference Minimum wage: Labour mustn’t force government to roll out empty figures - Ngige EFCC: Our case with Fayose *Ex-Ekiti gov, moved to Lagos, as trial begins Saudi Arabia: Journalist Jamal Khashoggi died during a fight at consulate *The world reacts

 

Most Read BREAKING: Atiku defects to APGA *Picks ticket for 2019 presidency *Runs with Soludo (54,832 views) BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (37,464 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (25,154 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (22,707 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (21,342 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (14,412 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (13,844 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,846 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (12,554 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (11,305 views)

 

News Appointments (182) Business (290) Crime (784) Economy (493) Education (185) Entertainment (131) Fashion and Style (19) General (325) Health (366) Inside Africa (255) Interviews (16) National (870) Politics (2716) Press Releases (3) Religion (158) Security (1309) Sports (2244) Technology (25) World News (470)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement