Why Nigerian Army fired 200 Soldiers

By Editor on 28/05/2015

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 751


Nigeria Army at the Rukuba Barracks in Jos, Plateau State, dismissed about 200 soldiers from service for their failure to capture the Sambisa forest – a notorious hideout for Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State.

They were dismissed for laxity and cowardice in the course of duty.

One of the affected soldiers, Aguloye Sunday, an indigene of Ondo state, who confirmed the dismissal to journalists in Jos, said they were arraigned on a two-count charge over “failure to perform military duty and disobedience to standing order.”

He however said the charges pressed against him and his colleagues were “untrue, false and malicious,” and said they would seek redress in court.

Mr. Sunday denied the claim by the army authorities that the soldiers abandoned their duties and ran away, explaining that sufficient weapons were not provided for them to fight the terrorists and therefore they soon ran out of weapons.

He also said the weapons provided for the troops were obsolete.

“The bombs given to us were made since 1964 they were expired, so we could not use them,” he said.

“Each of us were given five bullets, not five rounds to fire, while in the forest, our biggest weapon was to cover just a distance on 400 meters, but our enemy had aircraft weapons that could cover a distance of more than 1000 meters with other dangerous weapons.

“We only retreated to our base, waiting for ammunition for three days in vain.”

Mr. Sunday explained that the soldiers were earlier imprisoned for 28 days with hard labour by one Lt. Colonel Gambo, before a general court martial was set up by the Nigerian army to try them.

He added that Mr. Gambo had also been ordered into the guardroom – a military cell- for issuing mild sanctions against the soldiers.

He said, “As we speak, Lt Colonel Gambo was yesterday kept in a guardroom at the officers mess, because he sentenced us to just Imprisonment and Hard Labour, we had served the punishment for a week before the dismissal order; some of our senior men were demoted before the dismissal,” the soldier said.

Mr. Sunday said since November 13, 2014, when authorities withdrew him and the other soldiers them from the notorious forest, they had been subjected to untold hardship.

 

 

Posted on May, 28 2015

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
Chadian soldiers crush 207 Boko Haram fighters

Dogara to El Rufai, other Govs: Security Votes,...

Nebo to Buhari: Win the gas war and...

Pay ASUU N1trillion from looted funds, Uniport alumni...

BREAKING: Buhari's Minister dies in auto crash *condolence...

NANS resists increase in schools fees by Varsities...

Fuel queues resurfaces, cripples economic activities in Abuja...

Pray for my daughter, Stephanie's mother begs Nigerians...

Fresh 2016 budget arrive NASS, as Senators finger...
Latest News BREAKING: Dino pulled out of hospital bed, whisked away by police *To be arraigned immediately Senate invasion: Saraki moves to overhaul security at NASS complex US to Buhari: You’re running corrupt, vindictive government *Respond, PDP dares President, APC Angry Buhari thunders on Benue priests murder: Culprits must be punished *Action, vile, satanic Maritime health leads to economic growth – Peterside *Launches massive clean-up of Nigerian waters BREAKING: Drama, as Dino jumps out of SARS vehicle *Seriously injured Senator hospitalised Siasia gunning for vacant Lions' coaching job in Cameroon Exposed! Our govt returned $322.5m Abacha loot with $1.5m interest in 2017 — Switzerland BREAKING: SARS operatives move Dino to Kogi *To be paraded amongst hardened criminals Benue confirms killing of priests *Laments: North after us, Igbo aloof, we’re helpless!

 

Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,543 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (24,075 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,898 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,845 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,931 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (13,126 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,251 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (11,125 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (10,237 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (10,183 views)

 

News Appointments (148) Business (261) Crime (672) Economy (430) Education (165) Entertainment (92) Fashion and Style (6) General (266) Health (293) Inside Africa (229) Interviews (14) National (676) Politics (2022) Press Releases (3) Religion (136) Security (1119) Sports (1900) Technology (19) World News (418)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement