London Bridge attack, revenge for ISIS leader's death *Suspect, a convicted terrorist

By Editor on 30/11/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 229


Usman Khan

The terrorist who on Thursday, stabbed two people to death on London Bridge may have been acting in revenge over the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, reports the Daily Mail, newspaper. 

Usman Khan, 28, who was shot to death by police yesterday for his terrorist attack, was previously convicted of a plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange in 2012.

He was known to security chiefs and checks were underway to find if he had any associates. It is believed that he was one of 20,000 UK jihadi suspects known to police and MI5. 

Colonel Richard Kemp, ex-COBRA security committee chief, told the Sun: 'If he turns out to be an Islamic terrorist, he was likely inspired by Islamic State.

'It is even possible his action was in revenge for al-Baghdadi's death. It's something ISIS has called for since the US Delta Force raid in Syria.'

Al-Baghdadi died after blowing himself up with a suicide vest during a US raid of the Syrian camp he was being held at on October 26 this year.  

Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu confirmed that a man and a woman were killed in the attack which saw Khan, wearing a fake suicide vest, stab up to five people before being shot dead by armed police as hundreds of commuters fled in terror.

Yesterday's attack coincided with a similar rampage in Holland which saw three children stabbed on a shopping street in The Hague early yesterday evening, Dutch police said.   

National broadcaster NOS said the attack could not immediately be attributed to terrorism.

Dutch police launched a manhunt after the attack, which took place on a busy shopping street near the city's historic centre. The area was cordoned off and dozens of police and ambulances were on the scene. 

And in Paris, the Gare Du Nord train station was briefly evacuated after an alleged explosive device was found in an unattended bag.

Unverified pictures show the device, which resembles a mortar shell, inside an old duffel bag. 

Some people have suggested the device was a dummy explosive used for training purposes.  

Commissioner Basu also revealed that Khan, who was from Stoke-on-Trent, had a prior terrorism conviction and had been jailed for eight years in 2012.

He was released on licence in December 2018 and was still wearing a monitoring tag at the time of yesterday's attack.

Anti-terror police have raided a house in the Staffordshire area linked to the killer.

Khan had been attending a seminar in Fishmongers' Hall run by Cambridge University's Criminology Department to help offenders reintegrate into society following their release from jail.

He had threatened to blow up the building at the start of his five-minute rampage which ended in his death on London Bridge.

Dramatic video footage showed him being tackled to the ground by at least six members of the public. One man chased the attacker with a fire extinguisher while another used a Narwhal whale tusk to restrain him.

Khan had previously been arrested on December 20, 2010, four days before he and his nine-strong Al-Qaeda-inspired gang had planned to plant a bomb in the toilets of the London Stock Exchange.

He was a member of a nine-strong Al Qaeda-inspired gang plotting to blow up the London Stock Exchange.

After arresting Khan's gang, police found a handwritten list of targets which included the U.S. Embassy and the homes of London Mayor Boris Johnson, the Dean of St Paul's Cathedral and two rabbis.

The gang also carried out surveillance of other possible targets including Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Palace of Westminster and the London Eye.

The group planned to send five bombs in the post to London synagogues and the Church of Scientology headquarters, as well as spreading panic in Stoke-on-Trent by planting bombs in pub and club toilets.

Yesterday's attack came after the terror threat in the UK was reduced from 'severe' to 'substantial'. 

Commissioner Basu has said police will be patrolling the area over the weekend in case of a copycat attack and to reassure the public.  

 

 

 

Source Daily Mail

Posted on November, 30 2019

Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
Drogba leads African players in protest against planned...

Bolt joins football club after Athletics exploits

BREAKING: Benitez lands Real Madrid top job

BREAKING: APC shrinks, as 32 Reps defect to...

Fulani herdsmen sack 5,000 residents of Benue community...

Senate floors Osinbajo, others, as court affirms power...

Amokachi takes charge as Ifeanyi Ubah replaces 3...

PDP to Lai: Your gloating won't last *Was...

Love de sweet! Davido finally proposes to heavily...
Latest News How Magu bungled Diezani’s case, acquired N573m Dubai property through pastor Ondo: No longer at ease for Akeredolu *I will be re-elected on APC ticket - gov MAGU IS GUILTY! How panel indicted embattled EFCC boss BREAKING: Magu’s woes worsen *IG ignores bail request, withdraws security BREAKING: Buhari finally ousts Magu, appoints Umar as new EFCC boss It’s the will of God, Ekiti bank robbery gang leader says after arrest Gun men abduct eight members of ex-director's children in Abuja We didn’t send them to commit suicide, FRSC, reacts to video of officer on car bonnet Alaigbo Stabilization Fund in full swing, as Ohanaeze, S'East govs name full committee Army explains spike in attacks in North West *Says Boko Haram, ISWAP at work

 

Most Read BREAKING: Atiku defects to APGA *Picks ticket for 2019 presidency *Runs with Soludo (60,101 views) BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (39,069 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (27,646 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (25,043 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (23,257 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (17,702 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (16,378 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (16,271 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (14,873 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (14,860 views)

 

News Appointments (363) Business (325) Crime (1337) Economy (618) Education (244) Entertainment (315) Fashion and Style (116) General (617) Health (795) Inside Africa (535) Interviews (26) National (1566) Politics (3408) Press Releases (3) Religion (275) Security (1732) Sports (2379) Technology (33) World News (676)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement