BREAKING: Court sacks Obiora, clears way for Anambra Senatorial re-run *We 're set -INEC

By Editor on 12/01/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 265

An Abuja Federal High Court has set aside the judgment that pronounced Obiora Okonkwo winner of the March, 2015 Anambra Central Senatorial District election.

The judgement was rendered by Justice John Tsoho on Friday, setting aside the order of December 13, 2017 on the grounds that the facts were presented in such a manner to mislead the court on the two earlier decisions of the Court of Appeal in Abuja on the matter.

According to the judge, despite Okonkwo’s claim that he was not a party to the two appeals, his political party, the PDP was party to the suits, which are binding on him.

The court added that in order of precedence and hierarchy, the appellate court takes precedent over the high court.

Okonkwo, had in December, 2014 filed the suit of pre-election matter following his substitution with Uche Ekwunife as the PDP candidate at the primary of December 7, 2014.

He said the action was against the provisions of sub-section 4 (c) (ii) of Section 87 of the Electoral Act, 2010, and Part V Par. 29(c)(e) and (g) of the Electoral Guidelines for Primary Elections 2014 of the PDP.

Meanwhile, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Anambra says it has taken adequate measures to ensure smooth, credible, free and fair election in the Anambra Central Senatorial District re-run on Saturday.

The Head of Department of Publicity and Voter Education in INEC in the state, Mr Leo Nkedife said this while speaking with newsmen in Awka on Friday.

Nkedife said that all sensitive and non-sensitive materials as well as ad-hoc staff had been mobilised to the seven local government areas of the senatorial district.

He urged the residents of Anambra central senatorial district to come out em-masse with their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) to exercise their franchise.

He urged the voters to elect candidates of their choice and said that INEC was fully prepared for the election.

The INEC official assured that plans had been perfected to ensure adequate security the area where the exercise would be conducted.

The council areas where the re-run will be held are Njikoka, Dunukofia, Anaocha, Awka North , Awka South, Idemili North and Idemili South.

There have been several court orders in favour and against the holding of the election.

Meanwhile, the state Commissioner for Information and Communication Strategy, Chief Tony Nnacheta, says there will be no restriction of movement of vehicles on the highways in the state during the exercise.

Nnacheta said however that movement would be restricted in the affected seven local government areas between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m.



Source Press Release

Posted on January, 12 2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

You may also like...
Fire takes over Lagos IGR office

Sheriff gets extra two years as PDP National...

160,000 Nigerian Adolescents are HIV positive – Report...

EPL: Conte gives up on title defence as...

FG immortalises Adebayo, re-names Ekiti varsity after him...

Aftermath of herdsmen’s killings: Fayose stops cattle grazing...

How I bribed NASS members with N50million, ex-IAR&T...

Retrenchment: Don’t even think of it, group warns...

Colombian crash: Pilot dumped fuel to prevent explosion,...
Latest News SERAP to UN: Declare Herdsmen terrorist group *Responsible don't negotiate with terrorists BREAKING: Like MFM, another NPFL Club Plateau Utd crash out of CAF Champions league INCREDIBLE: You’re unlucky, doctors tell woman who lost 22 babies Gov Obiano sworn-in, begins his second term journey in Anambra Herdsmen reportedly invade Edo Communities, kill five Persons Algeria club whitewash MFM in CAFCL as NPFL team go down to CAF Confederation play-offs BREAKING: Federer dumps out Coric, race into final as Venus, Halep chicken out in Indian Wells semis Imo deputy Gov to Okorocha: You can't stop me from being next Governor Liverpool flog Watford as Salah hits first premier league hatrick, Palace journey out of relegation zone Buhari: Wakil’s death shocked me *We must not forget his dedication


Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,404 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (23,957 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,786 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,763 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,851 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (12,980 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (12,155 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (10,923 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (10,096 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (10,062 views)


News Appointments (138) Business (255) Crime (650) Economy (422) Education (162) Entertainment (89) Fashion and Style (6) General (260) Health (287) Inside Africa (223) Interviews (14) National (652) Politics (1948) Press Releases (3) Religion (132) Security (1067) Sports (1845) Technology (19) World News (399)


CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway



Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up