BREAKING: How 22-year-old lad stopped cyber attack that shook the wold

By Editor on 15/05/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 373


Hutchins

From his small room, he was able to stop Ransomware Virus that has caused havoc around the world.

That is the feat for which the computer world may have to thank Marcus Hutchins, the 22-year-old computer wizard who put his skill at their disposal to stop what is already causing a lot of scares globally.

The UK Mirror is reporting that the British surfer, became an ‘accidental hero' after halting the global spread of the unprecedented attack.

He stopped the virus in just a few hours - by which point, it had brought chaos to the NHS and thousands of other victims.

It is thought he did this from a small bedroom at his parents' home, packed with video games and takeaway pizza boxes.

Photos of what appears to be the room show two pizzas sitting in boxes, with three computer screens positioned nearby.

One of Marcus's friends today told The Telegraph that the surfer - who had been tweeting anonymously by the name MalwareTech - was just "doing his job" when he put a halt to the spread of the virus.

Kurtis Baron, founder of Fidus Information Security, added: "He is a really nice friend and also a business colleague.

"It is not a job to him, more a passion that he happens to get paid for."

Marcus, who lives in the south west of Britain, realised that by registering a website domain name the virus code could be stopped.

Earlier today, the IT expert himself claimed that hackers from China had tried to hijack the “kill switch” used to prevent the attacks.

He said he had been sent evidence in the form of an email that someone in China had attempted to steal the domain since Friday.

Computer experts have warned the block on the virus may only be temporary and the hackers could easily start up a new one capable of infecting millions more computers within days.

Steven Wilson, Head of Europol’s European Cybercrime Centre, told Sky News it was now important IT departments checked their systems on Monday morning to ensure they had not been compromised.

 

Three computer screens also appear to be inside the room

Hutchins' computer room

 He added: “It’s not a massively sophisticated attack. What is new is the use of a worm to propagate through systems.

“It is beyond anything we have seen before.”

The threat from China and Russia could open up huge implications for the nation’s security prompting Labour’s shadow health secretary, Jon Ashworth, to blame the Tory Government for being “complacent” about the threat.

Challenging Ministers to release their risk assessment to prove they had been taking it seriously, he said: “I would say to the government today, publish the Department of Health’s risk register so we will know how seriously the government were taking a potential cyber-attack.”

 

 

 

Source Mirror (UK)

Posted on May, 15 2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


You may also like...
IPOB to Buhari: You’re not welcome to Biafra...

BIZARRE: Boyfriend kills NDDC staff for refusing to...

Two hours on, Jimoh Ibrahim becomes Sheriff's Ondo...

Senate: Confusion dogs proposed screening of new Service...

Rooney in soup over drink-driving in London

Babachir, Oke: The ball now in your court,...

PDP crisis: Jonathan orders Sheriff, Makarfi to step...

Confed Cup: Wikki bundled out, Ifeanyi Ubah crash...

Deployment of Military on Kanu's Residence, illegal, brute...
Latest News Violence erupts in Niger, as two Islamic sects clash *Police move in, arrest 28 BREAKING: FG demolishes Abuja property of Patience Jonathan *Ex-First Lady kicks 10-year public office ban: I'm unmoved by your load of rubbish, Fayemi tells Fayose Australian Open: Federer, Sharapova ease into second round after Venus Williams down turn Sexual harassment: *My team doctor stole my body, wanted to kill my love and joy - Olympics star-girl Trump has highest regard for Nigeria – US *Speaks on ‘shithole’ comments Fayose distances Ekiti from proposed colony arrangement for cattle Owners *I was misunderstood -Minister Ogbeh Giggs grabs Wales National team Managerial role Herdsmen Killings: Buhari meets Benue Gov, David Mark, others in Villa Humans, Animals feared dead as fire wrecks havoc in Jigawa, Lagos

 

Most Read BREAKING: Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar clinch final Ballon d'Or shortlist, Suarez snubbed (36,079 views) You must release Kanu, give us justice or we keep bombing – Gen. Ben (23,478 views) Seven 'killer' SARS officers arrested in Anambra for murder (21,352 views) I must redeem Ndigbo or die trying – Nwodo *We're quite uncomfortable in Nigeria (20,526 views) Biafra: I’ll lead negotiation with agitators – Okorie *Warns against force (13,606 views) Okorie to Buhari: Your gvt can’t be killing Ndigbo and offering B’Haram amnesty (12,721 views) BREAKING: Again DSS shuns court order, hedges on Kanu's release (11,736 views) BREAKING: Upset, as Ugwuanyi appoints Queen of 419 into cabinet (10,399 views) Biafra: S’East governors, Ohanaeze to meet Buhari over Kanu (9,650 views) Catholic bishops to Mbaka: Your prophesies could be brain wave (9,591 views)

 

News Appointments (132) Business (237) Crime (632) Economy (410) Education (154) Entertainment (82) Fashion and Style (5) General (245) Health (263) Inside Africa (192) Interviews (14) National (628) Politics (1828) Press Releases (3) Religion (118) Security (964) Sports (1738) Technology (19) World News (378)

 

CBN banner advert

Chelsea Outdoor

Veleta banner

FRSC Officials vs Woman Driver on highway

 

 

Newsletters Subscribe to Whirl Wind News newsletters today and get breaking news and updates delivered to your mailbox!

Sign up

 

Advertisement